Slave No More
“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if they only knew they were slaves.”
While I would never want to equate the horrors of human slavery to a modern mental slavery, I do find Ms. Tubman’s idea relevant for us today.
Most of us, at one point or another, are trapped, or at least tripped up, by bad habits and faulty mindsets. And, like the quote above, most of us are not fully aware of what’s got us:
- Pursuing the path of least resistance, in the name of efficiency, then finding yourself easily annoyed by any struggle at all
- Choosing unhappy over uncomfortable (for instance, the known misery of this job is more secure than the unknown possibility of a new career)
- Using a diagnosis to excuse instead of equip (he’s got ADHD, so he can’t be expected to use his executive functioning!)
- Sitting instead of moving, then taking pain pills for back pain
- Waiting to be supported as a victim instead of finding the rewards of being a victor
- Waiting for someone else to apologize before even considering forgiveness
What’s got you?