Christmas time is here
We’ll be drawing near
Oh, that we could always see
Such spirit through the year.
(“Christmastime is Here”)
If this is a holiday season for you, and you’re anticipating “drawing near” to friends and family, here’s a thought:
What spirit are you hoping these other people demonstrate?
- Gratitude from your kids as they open their presents?
- Graciousness from your parents, or in-laws, or anyone else, in response to hearing of your holiday plans?
- Patience from your spouse, as you struggle with all of the craziness?
- Harmony from your siblings, especially as they discuss the U.S. Election?
It’s good to name our unspoken expectations as we head into the fray of “drawing near.” Here’s an even better exercise, however:
What spirit are all these people hoping to see you demonstrate this year? (And always see throughout the year?)
The three best versions of “Christmastime is Here”:
- Vince Guaraldi Trio (of course, since he wrote the song for the greatest Christmas album of all, “A Charlie Brown Christmas”)
- Jars of Clay
- Four Freshman
Peace begins with pause,